Plans afoot for Frack Free February
Frack Free Somerset are days away from announcing a full line up of events taking place across Somerset, North Somerset & Bristol in February.
Frack Free February is a Month of Action in Somerset with public meetings, talks, stalls, workshops, actions and more all raising awareness about the threats to our communities and the bigger picture of extreme energy.
The Frack Free February Month of Action is an opportunity to:
- Systematically raise awareness about fracking & extreme energy to communities at risk in Somerset – we will be distributing 50,000 leaflets across towns & villages in the PEDL licensed areas
- Create a wide variety of opportunities for participation and action to anyone moved by the literature and outreach activities & the thought of fracking taking place locally – see the list of actions below
- To generate momentum for the campaign in 2013 and significantly increase planning application response capacity across the county e.g. starting more local groups, increasing the number of newsletter sign ups and so forth, so that when applications are submitted, we can best respond and support each other across the county.
WAYS TO GET INVOLVED
- Organise a public meeting or event in your town or village – email us & we can support with any aspect, whether that’s graphic design, providing speakers or helping with the costs of hall hire
- Help us doordrop over 50,000 leaflets
- Got skills to share? Offer to lead, or participate in a workshop
- Get postering! Help us get posters up in every local shop in Somerset
- Ask your local groups to sign up to the coalition, we have a target of at least 50 new groups joining the coalition in February
- Help us make this happen – Donate!
For any of the above, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
WHAT IS TAKING PLACE?
We are still in the process of confirming dates & times with various venues, speakers & organisers however plans include:
- Public meetings in these towns & villages as a priority (as they are areas at risk that haven’t already had a meeting take place):
Midsomer Norton, Westfield, Radstock, Paulton, Farmborough, Pensford, Shepton Mallet, Southway, Evercreech, Castle Cary, Wookey, Blagdon, Chew Magna – please note even if you’re not in these areas, get in touch as we need to raise awareness across Somerset & any public meeting in any area is important.
If you live in one of these areas & would like to help organise these events, please get in touch as soon as possible.
- Workshops including: Starting and organising a local group skill-share, Extreme energy & the bigger picture, direct action training, Speaker training and more.
- Stalls: we will be heading out to the highstreet every Saturday in a different town in Somerset
- Street theatre: the famous rig will be back and coming to a high street near you
- Filming: we are working with a local film maker to produce a film about the situation in Somerset, its progress will be shown at meetings during February
- Door dropping leaflets: We will need volunteers who can do some door to door leafleting throughout February. Even if you can only make a morning, please email us to help out.
- Talks wherever we are invited, would you like a talk about fracking at your college, university, workplace, local group..?
DONATE TO MAKE THIS HAPPEN
We have applied for a grant towards cost of this month of action, however we still need to make it happen if not successful as a matter of urgency for the land & communities of Somerset. If you can donate any amount, large or small, towards the cost of the activities above, especially the printing costs which are fundamental to awareness raising, we will be very grateful.
Posted on: January 12, 2013